In response to recent reports that Grant Shapps, the Business Secretary, has told Tata Steel and British Steel that they must safeguard UK-based jobs for ten years if they are to receive financial support , Roy Rickhuss CBE, General Secretary of the steelworkers’ union Community, said:
The reports about the Government requiring steel companies to protect jobs in order to receive financial support are welcomed.
We call on Tata and British Steel to engage meaningfully with this offer and negotiate with government to get a deal over the line. Whilst these discussions are ongoing the companies must protect jobs and their full industrial capacity.
Steelworkers had enough of warm words – we need action. Community will continue to fight for our members’ jobs and for our steel industry.”
Community is the steelworkers’ union. More steelworkers are members of Community than any other union. We have a history dating back over a century, representing members and campaigning to protect Britain’s steel industry. You can find out more and join here.
- 11,522 people signed the Britain, we need our steel petition. You can see the petition here.
- 33,000 people are directly employed by Britain’s steel industry.
- An additional 40,000 people work in the steel supply chain. Those jobs are reliant on the future of the industry too.
- Over 88 per cent of steelworkers are the main earner in their household.
- £6 billion is what Britain’s steel industry will be worth by 2030.
- £3 billion is the value of exports from Britain’s steel industry.