Last updated: April 26, 2021
Britain, we need our steel
Britain is made from steel. The roads we drive, the bridges we cross, the hospitals that heal us and the schools our children learn in. Iconic structures like the Millennium Stadium, the Thames Barrier and the Kelpies – all made from Britain’s steel. Whether we realise it or not we are looking at steel every hour of every day, it is essential to our economy and our way of life.
Britain, we need our steel because:
- It will be the foundation of our post-pandemic recovery
- It is critical to Britain’s economic independence and our national security
- It supports thousands of high-quality jobs in parts of the country that need them most
- A green British steel industry is vital to a low carbon future
Steel is a great British industry and we are proud of its contribution to building our nation. Steel has an illustrious heritage but is as important now as it has ever been, because rebuilding our economy will require millions of tonnes of steel and the passion and skill of our world class steelworkers.
What are we asking Government to do?
- Act to ensure our infrastructure is built with our steel
- Intervene to support industry and stimulate steel demand
- Implement trade arrangements that are fair and friction-free
- Create a level playing field so we can compete
- Develop an industrial strategy with steel at its core
With government backing, responsible ownership and public support, this great British industry will continue to deliver for our country for many generations to come.
Thousands of people have supported our campaign so far with over 10,000 people signing our petition and steelworkers, politicians and even some famous faces joining the fight:
We want to continue to carry our message across the country and create a broad coalition of groups, politicians and members of the public who together, can secure the future of our industry.
Add your voice: