In response to the GFG Alliance’s plan for Aartee Bright Bar (ABB), Roy Rickhuss CBE, General Secretary of Community trade union, said:
“The plan presented today by GFG for ABB could help protect vital jobs and the future of the business.
“We are hopeful that the court will listen carefully to this proposal and consider any alternatives that avoid redundancies and protects the loyal workforce.”
Community is the steelworkers’ union. More steelworkers are members of Community than any other union. We have a history dating back over a century, representing members and campaigning to protect Britain’s steel industry.
- 11,522 people signed the Britain, we need our steel petition. You read about the petition here.
- 33,000 people are directly employed by Britain’s steel industry.
- An additional 40,000 people work in the steel supply chain. Those jobs are reliant on the future of the industry too.
- Over 88 per cent of steelworkers are the main earner in their household.
- £6 billion is what Britain’s steel industry will be worth by 2030.
- £3 billion is the value of exports from Britain’s steel industry.
If you are a member of Community and need help or advice, please contact us at email@example.com or on 0800 389 6332.