School wellbeing report’s findings must be addressed

Commenting on the 2023 Tes School Wellbeing Report, Helen Osgood, Community’s National Officer for Education & Early Years, said:

“The report’s findings come as no surprise to us. We know from the work of our officers and representatives that teachers and teaching assistants are suffering from increased workloads and work-related stress, and this results in mental health issues for many education professionals.

“The report highlights the issue of unmanageable workloads. We have for some time been urging the Department for Education (DfE) to produce an action plan of how they are going to reduce workloads in schools.

“This is a very real health and safety issue. If only 27% of teachers feel supported, that leaves a massive 73% who feel unsupported at school. This isn’t good enough. The government must do better, to help the demoralised, struggling education workforce.

“At Community, we work hard to make a real difference to the working lives of our members, and we are encouraging our members to step forward to become Health and Safety Reps, so as we can ensure that the issues that educators are struggling with can be raised effectively at school level.”

Further information

Community’s 2021 report, The Future of Education, and ongoing campaign calls for more support for school staff and children and measures to address the exodus of teachers from the profession.

Read a copy of the 2023 Tes School Wellbeing Report here.

Not a member? Join today!

Community represents and support people working in all sectors of education and early years, from nursery to tertiary, including further and higher education. Our dedicated education and early years team have the training and experience to help guide you through any challenges or issues you are facing at work.

We’re proud to secure better pay and conditions for our members. Click here to find out more about our member-exclusive benefits and join today.

Join Community

If you are a member of Community and need help or advice, please contact us at or on 0800 389 6332.

Get protection at work, join today!

Do you have insurance on your car, home and phone? Making sure the things you care about are protected against unknown risks is important.

Not a member?
Let’s get to know each other.