In response to the Government’s announcement that it is cutting down the level of support for businesses with their energy bills from April, Roy Rickhuss CBE, General Secretary of the steelworkers’ union, Community, said:
“The Government’s decision to gamble on the future of the steel industry by weakening its energy support scheme is putting at risk tens of thousands of jobs in the industry and supply chain.
“Our steel industry cannot succeed if we continue paying twice as much for energy as our EU competitors, and our industry cannot decarbonise if there is no partnership with government.
“Britain needs its steel and our industry needs a government that backs it with actions, not empty promises.”
Community is the steelworkers’ union. More steelworkers are members of Community than any other union. We have a history dating back over a century, representing members and campaigning to protect Britain’s steel industry.
- 11,522 people signed the Britain, we need our steel petition. You can see the petition here.
- 33,000 people are directly employed by Britain’s steel industry.
- An additional 40,000 people work in the steel supply chain. Those jobs are reliant on the future of the industry too.
- Over 88 per cent of steelworkers are the main earner in their household.
- £6 billion is what Britain’s steel industry will be worth by 2030.
- £3 billion is the value of exports from Britain’s steel industry.