Responding to the Government’s announcement of its new energy support scheme that will benefit 300 businesses, including steel producers, Roy Rickhuss, General Secretary of the steelworkers’ union Community, said:
“The Government’s plan to increase the renewable levy exemption this April, following years of consistent campaigning calling for action on these issues, is a step in the right direction.
“Much more needs to be done to put our industry on an equal footing with our European competitors.
“These long-overdue announcements will offer little comfort to those who already lost their job in the steel industry due to the Government’s longstanding failure to act on energy costs and support for decarbonisation.”
Community is the steelworkers’ union. More steelworkers are members of Community than any other union. We have a history dating back over a century, representing members and campaigning to protect Britain’s steel industry.
- 11,522 people signed the Britain, we need our steel petition. You can see the petition here.
- 33,000 people are directly employed by Britain’s steel industry.
- An additional 40,000 people work in the steel supply chain. Those jobs are reliant on the future of the industry too.
- Over 88 per cent of steelworkers are the main earner in their household.
- £6 billion is what Britain’s steel industry will be worth by 2030.
- £3 billion is the value of exports from Britain’s steel industry.
If you are a member of Community and need help or advice, please contact us at email@example.com or on 0800 389 6332.