Following extensive negotiations between Community Reps and Serco, members have accepted by a large majority the 2023 pay offer – of between 4% and 8% plus other allowances, particularly for lower paid and long-serving staff.
National Officer Adrian Axtell said:
“This is another good result for our custodial staff, with all credit due to the work put in by our Reps.
“The increases for prison custody officers and operational support officers will help to support lower paid employees across our prisons during the current cost of living crisis.
“The increased holiday entitlement will recognise the contribution of longer serving employees across our prisons.
“Dog handlers will also welcome their enhanced allowances.”
The pay award includes:
- an 8% increase for all employees whose current salary is below £23,200;
- a 6% increase for all employees whose current salary is between £23,200 to £39,999;
- a 4% increase for all employees whose current salary is above £40,000; and.
- a 5% increase to be applied to all allowances , effective from 1 April 2023.
- New prison custody officer (PCO) and operational support officer (OSO) salaries’ will be rounded up with a 6.1% increase for new PCOs, a 5.9% increase for those between one and three years’ service and 6% after 3 years’ service or upon completion of portfolio. For OSOs, there will be an 8% increase for new starters and an 8.6% increase after one year’s service.
- From 1 April 2023, dog handler allowances will be increased significantly to align with HM Prison and Probation Service’s rates, which are £2,434 per annum for a single dog, or a rate for multiple dogs of 25% above the single dog allowance.
- From 1 January 2024, increased holiday entitlement for employees with longer service, increasing by one day for employees with 10 years’ service, and a further day for every additional 5 years’ service.
Not a member? Join today!
Community is the union for justice and custodial workers, representing thousands of members in the sector across UK prisons, detention centres, immigration centres and more.
We’re proud to secure better pay and conditions for our members. Click here to find out more about our member-exclusive benefits and join today.
If you are a member of Community and need help or advice, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0800 389 6332.